Certified Protection Officer Instructors are individuals who teach the Certified Protection Officer (CPO)Program or a portion thereof. CPOI's are Certified Protection Officers who have made a significant professional commitment toward advancing themselves as teachers, researchers, mentors and leaders. They are instructors, professors, consultants and supervisors. Certified Protection Officer Instructors teach various topics relating to security and asset protection. They advance the objectives of the IFPO within their respective areas of employment.
It is not MANDATORY that an instructor be a CPOI prior to delivering the CPO program. It is recommended, as it adds to the credibility but is not essential.
Being designated as a Certified Protection Officer Instructor is a noteworthy achievement. It is an excellent professional development accomplishment.
Candidates for the designation must meet the following qualifications:
- Current designation as a Certified Protection Officer (CPO).
- Membership in the International Foundation for Protection Officers.
- Five years teaching experience or equivalent
- One year full time security experience (part-time requires two years). The experience listed by the candidate must indicate they were completely or primarily responsible for the protection of assets (Security, Crime Prevention or Loss Prevention). Law enforcement or investigative experience in and of itself will not suffice to fulfill this requirement. Candidate should specify job titles and responsibilities. All relevant experience should be listed on the application.
- Post-secondary education at some level must be documented. This can be college courses or other substantial instruction in any subject given by a corporate, military, governmental or educational organization covering forty (40) or more hours. Courses in communications, supervision, leadership, etc. are all examples of post-secondary education.
Successful CPOI candidates receive the following:
- CPOI Certificate
- Letter of commendation
- CPOI ID Card
- Listing on the IFPO web site as a CPOI
- CPOI Wall Plaque (additional at cost) [Click Here to Purchase]
*It is not MANDATORY that an instructor be a CPOI prior to delivering the CPO program. It is recommended,
as it adds to the credibility but is not essential.
The $200.00 certification fee is 100% REFUNDABLE if the candidate's application is not approved.
Two year re-certification is required. All candidates who successfully acquire the designation after January 1, 2002 will be required to re-certify every two years.
Certified Protection Officer Instructor (CPOI)
(Completion of Certified Protection Officer Program is required to obtain the CPOI designation)